List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    [DMCA_discuss] invention vs discovery
From:       DeBug <debug () centras ! lt>
Date:       2001-11-29 12:09:22

I watched a program on Deutsche Welle TV where there was
a discussion about patents in genomics industry
I draw a conclusion that laweyers in Europe tend to admit
that patents cannot be applied to discoveries and they reserve
patent rights to inventions only (not discoveries).

my question: How does one make distinction between discoveries and
inventions? I somehow can not draw a clear line between the two notions
The only thing, as i see it, that can make clear distinction between
invention and discovery notions is the anonimity of the first creation
of the thing - if it is not known who invented the thing then we can
treat the thing as existing in nature by itself and that means that
by analyzing the thing we do discover it and we classify it as discovery.

--
Best regards,
 DeBug                          mailto:debug@centras.lt