List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re:  [DMCA_discuss] Streaming radio and the DMCA
From:       "Matthew T. Russotto" <russotto () pond ! com>
Date:       2001-09-27 20:11:33

} A friend keeps telling me the RIAA is just the pasty for BMI and ASCAP. He thinks the
} latter two should get more heat. What do you think?

} http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010927/lath002_1.html

ASCAP theoretically represents the actual creators, as opposed to the
record companies.  Whether this is the case in the real world, I don't
know.  I'm not sure about BMI; they are most famous for extorting
money from offices where music was played on a radio loud enough for people to
hear it, under the theory that this is "rebroadcasting".