List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    Re: [DMCA_discuss] Salon: Dave Touretzky on the DMCA
From:       "John Zulauf" <johnzu () ia ! nsc ! com>
Date:       2001-08-28 23:30:29

"Jon O ." wrote:

> Old news doesn't detract from the importance. It's a good article.
>
> And yes, MPAA didn't take the bait but Adobe sure did.

Adobe took another tack completely.  Instead of threatening lawsuit,
they called out the FBI.  The frighteningly beautiful part of this is
that Adobe could "repent" of their attacks against Mr. Sklyarov, and yet
still benefit from the FBI's work while they wash (and wring) their
hands.

> On 28-Aug-2001, Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
> >

> > Apparently, MPAA has decided not to take the bait.

actually they sent him a C&D letter this last spring
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/mpaa-threat-feb2001.txt

His response was a gem

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/mpaa-reply-feb2001.html

"In order for me to consider the allegation you raised in your letter,
I request that you specify the URL for each of the files on my web
site to which you are objecting, and for each such file, give the legal
basis for your objection.  It would also be helpful if you would
explain, for those representations of the DeCSS algorithm to which you
do not object (such as, perhaps, the recording of someone singing the
source code), why you do not object to my publishing the algorithm in
that particular form."

Their counter-response was more ominous

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/mpaa-ack-mar2001.txt

"We are in receipt of your letter. We will consider it and respond
appropriately at the proper time."

... and the other shoe has yet to drop.  With the current cases pending
Corely, Felten, Pavlovich, Skylyarov ... they probably have realized
that their attempt to bluster Touretzky into folding has failed (they
should have know this from his excellent testimony in Universal v.
Corely) and are awaiting the results of the current cases.  Strangely, I
think the MPAA et. al. think they are going to win.  The 20th Century
saw a great broadening of speech protections.  It would be tragic if the
21st saw this reversed.

More frighteningly... they could be (Adobe-like) considering notifying
the NJ office of the FBI.  Similarly, RIAA only said they wouldn't sue
Dr. Felton, they didn't say they wouldn't go crying to the FBI.

with chills,

.002