List:       dm-devel
Subject:    [dm-devel] Multipath Status?
From:       gfbarros () ualr ! edu
Date:       2004-05-31 2:24:34

Hi there,

Im Guil Barros, a san admin for UALR, thought id say hello and ask a couple of \
questions. We have an HP eva3k (2c2d) with dual fabrics and a number of machines on \
it. Right now, we have one win box using securepath and the others zoned to only see \
a single path to the san. Our linux boxes are also all zoned to only see one path for \
the time being. None of this is in actual "production" untill i figure out how we \
will be doing our multipathing for the linux boxes. The win boxes will either be \
using securepath or nothing at all. Linux boxes are either RH ES v3 or Debian when i \
can get away with it.

> From what i can tell this can be done either through md, or dm... how stable is all \
> of this? is any of it supported by redhat? How much of it is in the latest kernel? \
> how about the RH kernels?

Not terribly into LVM just yet, we just havent gotten to that point. Im assuming dm \
will give me a regular disk device thats just a layer on top of the multiple paths?  \
Also, what are the main diffs between evms and lvm?

is there some documentation on all of this that i overlooked?

thought id ask questions before blindly flailing with the patches :)

thanks,
-guil