List:       dm-crypt
Subject:    Re: [dm-crypt] How to move a LUKS partition
From:       Arno Wagner <arno () wagner ! name>
Date:       2010-04-19 10:34:29

I would think that (g)parted should be able to do it, or any
other tool that can move a partition without changing it.
In a pinch, fdisk + dd_rescue (copy from the end for moving
towardfs disk end) can do it, but that is tricky and requires
manual calcul;ations that have to be right.

However LUKS/dm-crypt itself cannot do it, as it is not a tool
for dealing with partition information or moving data. The
task is simply out of scope.

Before you move, make a backup. It is far too easy to
damage vital information in this type of operation.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
----