List:       dm-crypt
Subject:    Re: [dm-crypt] Library to do a 'luksOpen' programatically
From:       Arno Wagner <arno () wagner ! name>
Date:       2010-04-07 11:01:26

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:05:43PM +0200, Miguel ?ngel Garc?a Roig wrote:
> El mi??, 07-04-2010 a las 11:54 +0200, Milan Broz escribi??:
> > On 04/07/2010 11:12 AM, Miguel ??ngel Garc??a Roig wrote:
> > > I'm trying to do a :
> > >
> > > # cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/hda2 root
> > >
> > > using a library call or similar. I am not able to call cryptsetup
> > > directly due to security reasons.
> >
> > Which security reasons?
>
> If i make a exec() calling the cryptsetup binary, if a user
> connected to the machine can gain access to root account, he/she
> could see the command, no ?

Indeed. As he/she can see a full memory dump, access the kernel
space, get the crypto-keys, etc. This is not a problem of using
the command. It is a problem of a user getting root access.

I think your security analysis is flawed.

> I haven't physical control to the machine, that's the main problem.

Why is that a problem?

> I have only access to the server for installation, and then i have to
> send it to my client.

Still no reason to not use cryptsetup. The only reason I see
for using the library is convenience or integration, but
security-wise the library is not better or worse than the
stand-alone executable.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name