List:       dm-crypt
Subject:    [dm-crypt] Multiple Keys
From:       darren.grant () adslnation ! com (Darren Grant)
Date:       2009-10-23 10:58:00

Thanks Sven

Thanks for the suggestion that does seem plausible. There are
obviously two ways I could do this put the GPG key on the server and
luks keys on the USB stick or luks keys on the server and GPC on the
server.

Seems for convenience a good idea to use GPG to create a keyfile that
I could put on an external USB stick and then I can put any number of
encrypted luks keys on the internal flash for various partitions
without having to update every external USB key. It would also mean
that the same USB key could be used on more than one machine if
necessary. The downside of that is there would be no way of revoking
one key as revoking the GPG key it would stop all USB keys from
working and there would be no traceability as to who's key was used to
access the server.

For maximum security it would seem the other way round would be
better, put the GPG key on the server and the luks keys on the USB
stick that way each stick can have a unique luks key making it easy
to  revoke that key if the USB stick is lost, copied or otherwise
abused. The down side being each time a new partition is added with a
new key file every USB key would need to be updated.

Any other pro's/cons people can think of for which way round would be
best ?

Then just a case now of figuring out how to get GPG to decrypt the
luks key during boot, at least my root partition is not encrypted so
no problems there. Anyone already using this sort of set-up ?

Thanks
Darren