List:       dlm-devel
Subject:    Re: [Dlm-devel] Snag with clm_client_t
From:       Ian D Romanick <idr () cs ! pdx ! edu>
Date:       2001-06-20 17:28:59

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 03:44:42PM -0700, Ian D Romanick wrote:
> > I'm working on a duct-tape style fix, but something better is clearly
> > needed.  I know that in 2.4.x (and possibly later 2.2.x) some internal
> > kernel linked-lists were replaced with an AVL tree.  Could somebody look in
> > to this and figure out:
>
> If you mean the mmap avl it has just been added back (1.2+ had it, 2.1 late
> removed it but it caused very bad performance with Electric Fence which
> creates thousands of mappings; so 2.2 late readded it again)
>

> > 1. If it's general enough for other parts of the kernel to use.
>
> It's not general enough, so far all new users have been cut'n'pasted.

Yuck!  It turns out that the clm_client_t's are held in an array of pointers
to structures, and not an array of structures.  The code wasn't really all
that clear, so I got confused.  Heh...like that's never happened before.
The problem turned out to be something a little bit different, but is now
solved.

--
"Those willing to exchange a little liberty for a little liberty for a little
 security deserve neither liberty nor security."  -- Benjamin Franklin

http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~idr/