List:       dlm-devel
Subject:    [Dlm-devel] Checked in changes to connect library and kernel
From:       Peter Badovinatz <tabmowzo () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-02-25 2:07:13

Many changes checked in today:

source/libdlm:  many changes to use ioctl calls to communicate with the DLM
kernel side, i.e., to submit and retrieve requests and data.  Bulk of the
changes in api_glue.c and api_init.c.  Further cleanup is possible in the
overall structure of the library, but I'm not worrying about it for now.

source/dlmdk:  many changes in dlm_kerndd.c to support the ioctl calls.  It
will do sanity checking, and will then pass the data to the appropriate
routines that actually process the requests.  Also changes to better protect
the code against improper reads/writes against the device interface.

  Further in dlmdk and libdlm files, since on Linux each user thread has its
own pid, use of current-pid [in the kernel] or getpid() [user library] is
dangerous so the code was changed to record and pass around a canonical pid for
each client.

source/include: definitions of the ioctl calls, and micellaneous cleaup.

source/dlmdu, source/dlmdcl: minor changes related to the above.

=====

Which all means that we should be able to fire up a client, and actually submit
calls to the kernel.  But, since we aren't yet running the kernel thread, the
requests will be rejected.  Further, the code in dlm_kerndd.c isn't yet fully
parsing the node event blocks submitted from dlmdu.  This needs to have the
code in clm_main.c, essentially the main loop and queue, to be ready.

Also, where to start the kernel thread?  When module loaded (init_module()) or
when dlmdu starts sending data (haDLM_write()) [both in dlm_kerndd.c]?  We need
to call start_lockd() (clm_main.c).

Finally, the test files we have are essentially useless.  They are there to
basically manage the admin side, i.e., to replace having the full HACMP
environment, and aren't locking clients.  So, I would try to actually test a
client, but I don't have one, it's getting too late to write one, and I am
leaving!

   "I'm not dumb, I'm no dweeb, I'm just a sucker with no self-esteem."
                   -- The Offspring - "No Self Esteem"

=====
These have been the opinions of:
Peter R. Badovinatz -- (503)578-5530 (TL 775)
wombat@us.ibm.com/tabmowzo@yahoo.com
and in no way should be construed as official opinion of
IBM, Corp.