List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: dnstrace/dnsq has different view?
From:       Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard () tesco ! net>
Date:       2001-07-28 6:58:34

MB> I thought dnstrace did a radical full-tree-recursion from the
MB> top-server down. And if someone introduced a new domain, it of
MB> course has to be looked up from .

Think about it.  If "dnstrace" needs to start the search from the content DNS
servers for the "." domain, it needs to know where those content DNS servers
are.  Ask yourself how it knows this.  What is the *only* information about
where to find content DNS servers that you have given it ?

Admittedly, the documentation for "dnstrace" only tangentially mentions that
it has to be given the name(s) of one or more content DNS servers that are
capable of serving up the "." domain.  But it does mention it.