List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: /usr/local
From:       Daniel Neri <dne () mayonnaise ! net>
Date:       2000-06-30 23:40:01

Jim Breton <jamesb-dns@alongtheway.com> writes:

> Can you name an example of a "vendor-supplied binary package" which
> installs into /usr/local/?  I would like to check.  I, like Bennett,
> would have (yes, wrongly) assumed you meant ports, which are of course
> not "vendor-supplied binary packages."

Of course it depends on your definition of "vendor-supplied" but check
out:

        ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.7/packages/i386/

Note that these are also on included in the *official* OpenBSD CDROM
release. I don't know what you and Bennett read into "package
manager", but if I executed

 # /usr/sbin/pkg_add  \
   ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.7/packages/i386/daemontools-0.70.tgz

on my OpenBSD/i386 system, the result would be that the daemontools
*binaries* would get installed under /usr/local. Later, I would be
able to easily remove all traces of daemontools using the command
"pkg_delete".

Best wishes,
  --Daniel

--