List:       djbdns
Subject:    TTLs for clients
From:       "D. J. Bernstein" <djb () cr ! yp ! to>
Date:       2000-06-29 21:04:00

steve@blighty.com writes:
> Surveying is yet another. If I need to know the TTLs of a large-ish number
> of A records,

Why do you care? Why not just let the system work? I don't understand
what problem you're trying to solve.

> "I changed the record three days ago, and the TTL is only one day, so why
>  am I getting the wrong answer?"

In this situation, what the user wants to know is when the record will
expire from _all_ caches around the Internet. This isn't something you
can check. Simply use dnstrace to check that all servers are providing
the new records, and then explain that (working) caches will hold onto
the old record for the duration of the old TTL.

---Dan