List:       djbdns
Subject:    DNSCache package needs proxy dns module?
From:       Rodrigo Severo <rodrigo.lists () fabricadeideias ! com>
Date:       2000-06-28 13:24:48

After a few questions rised in this list:

1. the long theard initiated by Wolfgang Walter (and well defended by
him despite a certain resistence of the list to understand his point ;);

2. markd@bushwire.netīs theard about NATs exaustion and the current
solution adopted by him (dnscache behind bind);

3. a few theards I canīt recall quite exactly related to bad designed
software that "overqueried" dnscache bacause of its 0s TLDs;

I think DNSCache package could greatly benefit from a proxydns module.
It certainly wouldnīt get safer (but wouldnīt get unsafer also) and
would get a lot more flexible.

The way Iīm imagining it this proxydns would work just as dnscache on
the "query side". The diference would be in its "answer side". Its
answers would have the authoritative bit set and non 0 TLDs. This way
there would be no changes needed on dnscache.

In such setup, the proxydns would be a master dns cache and several
dnscaches would be the leaves. Each dnscache in such setup would have
the proxydns as it sole root server.

What does this kind list thinks about this idea?

Rodrigo

Rodrigo Severo
rodrigo@fabricadeideias.com
Fabrica de Ideias
sbs - ed. empire center - bl. s - sala 109
cep 70070-904 - brasilia-df - brazil
tel: (61) 321 1357
fax: (61) 321 6096