List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: debian package
From:       Bennett Todd <bet () rahul ! net>
Date:       2000-02-21 17:05:52

2000-02-21-08:26:22 Raul Miller:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 01:23:12PM +0100, Smoerk wrote:
> > is someone working on a debian package?
>
> Note that Dan hasn't granted anyone the right to redistribute his
> work (let alone redistribute it under terms that satisfy debian's
> free software guidelines).

That's no disincentive to package the software, though. I don't use
Debian, I use Red Hat, but I always RPM everything I install. So
I've wrapped RPMs of dnscache and daemontools. It was a little
annoying; can't just install into an rpm build root with "make
prefix=... install"; the install process seems to take its paths
from the same place as the the compile step. That makes it harder,
but not impossible. Right now I still use the provided install
process, turning off all the daemons before I rebuild the package,
then checking to see if anything has been added, removed, or renamed
from the last version.

Packaging is just too valuable for making sure you can reproduce
your work, simplifying documentation, providing auditing abilities,
etc. Even if you don't distribute the packaging to others.

If you're interested in trying, I'll be happy to pass you my RPM
spec file; perhaps with alien that might help building a Debian
package.

-Bennett