List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: NXDOMAIN Negative TTL
From:       Michael Shuler <mshuler () rackspace ! com>
Date:       2007-02-22 23:13:37

Andy Bradford wrote:
> You explicitly set the TTL to 86400. Try setting it to 300.

Thanks for the reply, Andy.  You are exactly correct that setting the
default SOA record TTL to 300 is a workaround, as I mentioned in my
original post.  I also tested without setting an SOA TTL and tinydns
responds with the internal default minimum TTL of 2560.

If I have explicitly set the SOA.MINIMUM TTL to 300, is tinydns'
intended behavior to ignore this data field?  This is acceptable to me,
if that is the intention - I am mostly looking for verification of the
reply inconsistency.  A few impatient customers got stuck with longer
than expected cached negative TTLs after they queried newly added hosts,
before the new host records hit the authoritative servers.

Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler