List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: How to move nameservers to another server (w/different IP).
From:       prj () po ! cwru ! edu (Paul Jarc)
Date:       2005-05-27 2:01:10

"Charles M. Gerungan" <charles@nednieuws.com> wrote:
> If I copy over root/data, then the other box does have the data, or
> am I missing something?

Yes, it will, but you don't want clients to talk to it before then.
So copy the data over before giving the new servers' addresses to the
registrar or putting it in the old servers' data.

> So I can I just copy the static websites over to the new box if I
> also change the IPs of them in step 1? We'll be getting rid of that
> box, so I'd like to do it as quickly as possible.

I'd change the web server's A records first.  (Continue running the
web server on the old address for a while, since caches will still
have the old address.)  Then proceed with the procedure from the
archives for switching name servers.

paul