List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: IP aliases on linux?
From:       Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh () wantstofly ! org>
Date:       2004-04-26 9:16:43

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:18:49AM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> > Tell me exactly how I should benchmark tinydns under different conditions
>
> Take a log of real queries. Repeat those queries at 2x speed, 3x speed,
> etc.; measure the response rate at each speed. There's a sharp drop in
> response rate when the server is overloaded.

OK.  That's more or less what I wrote at the end of:

	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com./?l=djbdns&m=108229646730841&w=2

For reasons explained in my previous emails, I don't think the 8% performance
difference between the 1-process and 2-process version of tinydns on a dual
CPU box when using cached mmap() will become much bigger under a 'real world
load', but I'll do the experiment nevertheless.

> Of course, you need to spread the queries across a bunch of client
> machines, and you need a network fast enough to not be a bottleneck.

I have access to all of that.

> White-box testing avoids this but requires that you understand the
> tinydns code.

ACK.

--L