List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: some tinydns setup confusion
From:       Mirko Steiner <mirko.steiner () slashdevslashnull ! de>
Date:       2004-02-12 23:04:34

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 12:05:05PM -0800, drtebi@drtebi.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I have just setup tinydns, it should work in a day or two I guess.

if you read the docu carefully and have a basic knowledge about "domain
name service" it should take < 2 hours.

> I have read how-tos etc, but there is still a couple things I cannot
> figure
> out:

if you have questions, you havn't read the doc's enought :)

> So here are my questions:
> 1) I simply want the address "http://www.apples.com" to work as well
> as
> "http://apples.com", how do I add this?

you can set up an alias from "www.apples.com" to "apples.com"
("http://" doesnt interest in DNS questions) but you should take a look
to your webserver setup that he serves the same site for both domains
(when you run just one site, there should not be a problem, but when you
run multiple sites you should set up a alias)

> 2) How do I add the second name server (b.ns.fruithost.com) to
> tinydns's data
> file?

just add another dns server... but you should read the doku, so that you
don't set up a round robbin DNS... i'am to lazy to read the dokuments
(for you) now..

> 3) I have seen in many other examples "...in-addr.arpa..."--I am
> completely
> lost on what this means, can anyone explain please, and how it would
> fit into
> this example?

the "in-addr.arpa" entrys are the "ip to name" mappings. for example:
if you do this:

$ host mirko
mirko.slash.home has address 192.168.0.2

you request a ip for an name (name to ip mapping) but when you make:

$ host 192.168.0.2
2.0.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer mirko.slash.home

you request a name for an ip address (ip to name mapping or better known
as "reverse lookup") and then the in-addr.arpa entry will be used...

if you (for example) use bind as nameserver you have to enter each
in-addr.arpa entry for an ip... tinydns will do it automaticaly.

you should read a book about dns, seems to be that you need some
basics :) TCP/IP Illustrated Vol.1 is a great one...

> 4) The name server for "fruithost.com" is the registrar's
> (buydomains.com), is
> there anything else I need to configure with the registrar to make my
> tinydns
> work?

if the nameserver can resolve the ip address for "fruithost.com"
everythink should work fine...

> Thanks in advance!

hope i have write everythink so, that you understand it... :) But... _I_
have wrote something so errors are expected :)

Greetings Mirko