List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: OT - Incorrect Name Server
From:       prj () po ! cwru ! edu (Paul Jarc)
Date:       2004-01-29 22:21:46

"Jonathan Duncan" <jonathan@nacnud.com> wrote:
> The problem I have is when I run a DNS report (dnsreport.com) any of the
> domain names that I host, the second name server is shown to be pointing to
> the IP address of the old test server I had half a year ago.

That's what the .com servers are publishing:
$ dnsq ns jkdwebmagic.com f.gtld-servers.net
2 jkdwebmagic.com:
101 bytes, 1+2+0+2 records, response, noerror
query: 2 jkdwebmagic.com
answer: jkdwebmagic.com 172800 NS ns1.jkdwebmagic.com
answer: jkdwebmagic.com 172800 NS ns2.jkdwebmagic.com
additional: ns1.jkdwebmagic.com 172800 A 128.121.50.96
additional: ns2.jkdwebmagic.com 172800 A 128.121.60.35

You need to talk to your registrar to fix this.

Also, the new owner of 128.121.60.35 can run a name server answering
queries about jkdwebmagic.com, and any resolvers that have the current
glue cached will trust it.  Such a server could also refresh those
cache entries with every response, so they might never expire, and
those resolvers might never come back to your servers.  To avoid this
problem next time, run a server on the old address for a while,
publishing the new data, so that resolvers will learn the new servers
from it.
<URL:http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103705403800001&r=1&w=2>
<URL:http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103501810000001&r=1&w=2>

paul