List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: rbldns confusion
From:       prj () po ! cwru ! edu (Paul Jarc)
Date:       2003-04-25 16:50:46

"Jeff Garvas" <jeff@lek.net> wrote:
> What I did was setup a machine with rbldns bound to the public IP that
> 'bl.lek.net' resolves to.  It was my understanding that if rbldns answered
> on udp 53 at that location, that rblsmtpd would directly connect to rbldns
> via udp port 53 and perform the neccesary lookup.

The A record for bl.lek.net is unnecessary for rbldns, though it may
be useful for other reasons.  What you need instead is for the lek.net
servers to delegate bl.lek.net to the rbldns machine.  E.g.:
&bl.lek.net:66.218.128.43:a

> I am going to scrap my rbldns install and follow Chris' suggestion to see
> what I can come up with.

There's nothing wrong with your rbldns setup.  You just need to fix
the pointer to it, as above.

> It isn't made very clear that you need can't run rbldns alone without
> something else (atleast, on the page SpamCop provides for setting up a
> mirror).

The A record for bl.lek.net is already something else; it just isn't
quite the right something.

paul