List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: rbldns: a record doesn't match IP of query
From:       Adrian Ho <aho-djb-djbdns () 03s ! net>
Date:       2003-04-24 0:08:55

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 01:05:30PM -0700, Bill Shupp wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 07:07  AM, Adrian Ho wrote:
> > If you mean that you expected:
> >
> > $ dnsqr a D.C.B.A.rbl.merchbox.com
> >
> > to return A.B.C.D for all A.B.C.D covered by your RBL [...]
>
> Yes, that is what I expected.  It appears that without a ":a:txt" line,
> it defaults to 127.0.0.2 for the "a" record.

Yes, and "Listed $" for the corresponding TXT RR.

If you require the above behavior instead (and I'm not sure why you'd
need it -- no RBL-querying program I know expects anything more than
the existence of the A and/or TXT RRs), you'd have to hack the source,
or do it the semi-hard way with tinydns.  8-)

> Here's the relevant entry:
>
> ::Your message has been blocked due to Spam abuse from your mail
> server.  Offending IP address - $
>
> I think I saw that as a suggestion on this list to leave the "a" field
> blank.

I'd be very surprised if anyone suggested that, since I don't see what
you'd gain by it.

> I guess if the ":a:txt" line exists, and the "a" field is blank,
> a random IP is selected.

More precisely, whatever 4 bytes were in the "right place" when
rbldns-data was run (which can be surprisingly constant).

--
Adrian Ho    Tinker, Drifter, Fixer, Bum   aho-djb-djbdns@03s.net
ListArchive: <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=djbdns>