List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: Anyone done an eRBL DNS? That is an RBL for email addresses?
From:       Chris Wilkes <cwilkes-dns () ladro ! com>
Date:       2002-02-25 18:22:16

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:20:46AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> rfc-ignorant is one group using dns to publish "bad" domain names.

> One reason I can think of is that you can't use badmailfrom with
> rfc-ignorant's data since the don't seem to publish a complete list
> anywhere. (For myself, I just manually add domains to badmailfrom if
> they do antisocial things like rejecting bounce messages.)

What would help me out is a way to filter out email send with a From of
"hotchix12312@yahoo|hotmail.com" that come from a non-yahoo|hotmail mail
server.

That would require knowing all of yahoo's outbound mail servers, which
you can't get through a simple MX query.  If you could query
"yahoo.com.erbl.dns.org" and get back a list of their known outbound
servers that would be helpful.

Maintaining that would be a nightmare if someone changes/adds servers
often.

Granted there might be legit hotmail.com email that someone sends from
their home machine but I've yet to see it.

I think this discussion is a little better suited for the qmail mailing
list ....

Chris