List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: Default DNS answer
From:       John Peacock <jpeacock () rowman ! com>
Date:       2002-01-25 20:55:02

timhewitt@myostrich.net wrote:

> I would like to have anyone who is referencing my nameservers in their
> domain record, who does not have a DNS entry in my DNS server for their
> domain, to be sent to a default IP address where I can put up a domain
> parking page.

Great, this is exactly the information we need to help you.

> Do I modify dnscache per the code changes in the thread below?

No.  Only machines under your control access dnscache (under the preferred
configuration).

> Do I put a wildcard record into tinydns along with an SOA record and NS
> record for the root zone (why does that sound scary).

Yes.  The NS record for the root zone simply allows tinydns to respond
to queries for any query below root.  The wildcard record is what will be
used if there is no more specific entry.  Only queries for domains that have
your DNS server listed as authoritative will ask your tinydns server and only
domains without other records will fall under the wildcard rule.

This means that tinydns must be accessible on a public IP address (your current
BIND address likely) and dnscache should be only available to machines you
control.

John

--
John Peacock