List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: What about this Dan fellow and djbdns
From:       "Michael T. Babcock" <mbabcock () fibrespeed ! net>
Date:       2001-12-31 17:53:06

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 06:19:16PM +0100, Eric Persson wrote:
> I'm a bit curious about this Dan fellow and also the story of djbdns.

Read all the pages under cr.yp.to for more on Dan, and djbdns.org on
top of that for more on djbdns.

> =) However, in the discussions, many of the "Bind"-positive people says
> that since djbdns is not open source, and not many bugs/security
> holes/"other stuff found in bind which is not good" is found due to
> this.

djbdns is not "Free Software" and probably not what some would define as
"Open Source Software" but its source code is most definately freely
available and you are free to modify it for your own use or inspect it
for bugs or post patches to fix any bugs you find to this list.  Please
read the mailing list history for discussions on patching, etc.

> really matters, but it feels unlikely that Dan alone can make something
> very secure,

Actually, Dan alone wrote djbdns, AFAIK.

> when a whole bunch of people(bind people) cant. Or is this
> a total misunderstanding?

Yes, design by committee doesn't always make better softare (usually
doesn't).  BIND is a bloated and bad design; but Dan could explain that
better (and has -- read his site).

--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)