List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: Problem using axfrdns - The discussion lost its direction
From:       Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard () tesco ! net>
Date:       2001-12-18 11:43:12

MS> tinydns-get and dig provided correct results, but I was not able
MS> to resolve subdomains of united-domains.de (except the names in
MS> the name cache), [...]

"tinydns" does not *have* a name cache.  There is no need for any such thing
in a content DNS server.

MS> I couldn't find www.yahoo.united-domains.de with my browser. Now
MS> I guessed this was due to missing recursive queries of tinydns,
MS> but actually this should be a problem of delegation, tinydns
MS> isn't asked first and so only has to answer queries delegated to
MS> it, right?

You have a terribly muddleheaded idea of how the DNS works, in particular what
servers go where.  (I can appreciate this.  I suffered from receiving a
mistaken explanation of how recursion worked, that inhibited my understanding
the operation of the DNS, for several years.)  You still seem to be placing
"tinydns" in the rôle of a proxy DNS server, which it is not.

You need to stop guessing, and correct your mental model of how DNS servers
operate.  Your guesses, being based on a faulty model, are bizarre, and
sometimes meaningless.

MS> But what else could be the problem?

The main problem appears to be that you have not yet followed Adrian Ho's
advice.  Stop spending your time posting to this list.  Spend it instead
reading all of the web pages that he pointed you to.   *At minimum*, read the
"djbdns" Big Picture.  Then start asking questions again.