List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: Full featured djbdns jumbo patch
From:       Greg White <gregw-djbdns () greg ! cex ! ca>
Date:       2001-10-11 23:15:38

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 10:47:26PM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> Henning Brauer writes:
> > It's much easier if dnscache could just read servers/* again on
> > SIGHUP or whatever signal.
>
> svc -h is no easier than the current solution, svc -t.
>
> Yes, lookups are a bit slower right after a restart. However, as I said,
> ISPs that want top performance should use a local root server. This
> eliminates the need to change servers/*; it scales to a gigantic number
> of local domains; it eliminates the delays caused by the global roots.

But accurate and timely maintenance of a local root server seems to me
to be a nontrivial task, especially if ISP sysadmin workloads have not
changed since I knew many personally -- and I suspect that if they have
changed, they have done so for the worse.

While I don't see any huge great need for this (dnscache starts up with
better performance than I could have believed when I was a BIND user), I
cannot see any big issues with this (and I do agree with most of your
other objections to the posted patches -- much better done with
pre-and-post processors than mangling djbdns code IMHO).

--
Greg White