List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: Full featured djbdns jumbo patch
From:       Balazs Nagy <js () iksz ! hu>
Date:       2001-10-11 17:16:50

On Thu, Oct 11 2001, D. J. Bernstein <djb@cr.yp.to> wrote:

> >     - add support to tinydns-data to load multiple data files
> >     specified on command line
>
> Merging multiple AXFR results properly is more complicated than this. It

Yes, tinydns-data (and tinydns-data format) is not robust enough.

> should be handled by a separate tool. Note that sites with many zones
> can't even fit the list into the command line.

Well, you can do other whistles and bells, but the fact is tinydns-data
format is not robust enough to handle the needs of a large site with a lot
of dns sources.

> >     - add support to dnscache to dump cache from memory and load it
> >       from file when it start, or when it receive SIGALRM signal
>
> Any ISP that cares this much about performance will make sure that its
> caches stay up.

I can't see the point either.

> >     - add support for SRV record for tinydns-data and axfr-get
>
> I don't understand. Are you actually typing SRV records? Why?

Maybe I'm dumb, but I think I can write any data format into data file.

> >     - add support to tinydns to react on notify queries and
> >     log 'N'.
>
> I don't understand. Why not simply try an AXFR once a minute?

A periodic AXFR query is much better than notify, either by security or by
stability.

> >     - add support to server round-robined records when are
> >     many A records in answer.
>
> The order of A records is the client's responsibility.

Exactly. Don't do round-robin, because client does.

I can agree with Dan, except with my patch ;-)
---jul