List:       djbdns
Subject:    Re: Full featured djbdns jumbo patch
From:       Henning Brauer <lists-djbdns () bsws ! de>
Date:       2001-10-11 15:18:38

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 11:02:49AM -0400, Paul Jarc wrote:
> Henning Brauer <lists-djbdns@bsws.de> wrote:
> >> And what's wrong with forwarding?
> > eh? you're dnscache should consult your internal tinydns for
> > 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. Tell me how to reach this goal without a local
> > root-server and without touching dnscache's server/ directory.
> You have a forwarder with a large cache pointing to a resolver with a
> small cache.  You change the resolver's servers/* and restart it.
> Your forwarder retains its large cache.

hrmpf. It's much easier if dnscache could just read servers/* again on
SIGHUP or whatever signal.

The second resolver has no other reason for existance than working around
this missing feature.

If this is a scenario from reality is another question. For my setup, it is
not.

Greetz

Henning

--
* Henning Brauer, hostmaster@bsws.de, http://www.bsws.de    *
* BS Web Services, Roedingsmarkt 14, 20459 Hamburg, Germany *