Dear Dan, First of all, none of this patches are mine. It just happen to put them= =20 together. If someone, make one of this patches, then he need it. The only= =20 missing is IPV6. But I can't test it because I don't have to much knowled= ge. Someone will send me a PATCH14 if have enough time or other people. These improvements are _cookies_: if you like you can eat, if don't, t= hen don't. On Thursday 11 October 2001 11:38, you wrote: > > - add support modify SOA email contact address from tinydns-data > > Putting global macro features into the data format, rather than into > higher-level tools, is a horrible idea: it makes the higher-level tools > substantially more difficult to write. Well, for a little unexperienced guy with little domains then this can= help. =20 I don't know if I'll this feature, but someone can feel else. > > > - add support to tinydns-data to load multiple data files > > specified on command line > > Merging multiple AXFR results properly is more complicated than this. I= t > should be handled by a separate tool. Note that sites with many zones > can't even fit the list into the command line. Who can say this? This is handy for some handy made scripts and fo= r=20 people with small number of sites. djbdns is not only used in entreprise,= =20 but even at home. > > > - add support to dnsfilter replace IP-s with names > > Typical uses of dnsfilter need preprocessing and postprocessing anyway, > so there's no point to this wart. Read Gancarz's book. Well, for me is handy, instead to run sed in pipe with it. It's just=20 another option. > > > - add support to dnscache to responde queries from everywhere > > clients when OKCLIENT envar is set. > > Why? This configuration is (1) extremely rare and (2) already doable in > a few seconds with a three-line script. Yes, but I like to read three line of text explaining how to do OKCLIE= NT instead to write 3 line scripts. Many people don't know very good to make own tools, but want to use djbdns. I have so many friends and coleages in this situation... > > This is what Brooks was talking about when he said ``The besetting > temptation for the architect of a general purpose tool such as a > spreadsheet or a word processor is to overload the product with feature= s > of marginal utility ... The loss of ease of use sneaks up insidiously.'= ' This is not wordprocessor. I don't wanna to program my StarOffice pap= ers in=20 StarBasic, but I'm happy to press a button. > > > - add support to dnscache to listen on multiple IP's > > listed on IP envar and seperated by slashes. > > Why? Accessing the same cache through a second address is (1) extremely > rare and (2) already doable with a second cache forwarding to the first= =2E This argue is realy bad. I don't like to have another dnscache proces= s to monitor or to send signals. > > > - add support to tinydns to listen on multiple IP's > > listed on IP envar and seperated by slashes. > > Same issue. Same issue. > > > - add support to dnscache reload servers files > > when it receive SIGHUP signal > > You can achieve the same effect with forwarding. However, ISPs that wan= t > top performance should use a local root server instead. You probably don't have a dialup line. Try it before. > > > - add support to dnscache to dump cache from memory and load it > > from file when it start, or when it receive SIGALRM signal > > Any ISP that cares this much about performance will make sure that its > caches stay up. Well, ISP's can use vanilla djbdns. At home I'll use every time. When my conection die I don't wanna loose my cached records (using restar= ting dnscache to listen for my internal tinydns or external cache when on-line= ). So, this option is a must in internal DNS caches when I reboot my machine= =2E An tens of users start DNS request after geting up again. > > > - add support for SRV record for tinydns-data and axfr-get > > I don't understand. Are you actually typing SRV records? Why? Well, some one do it if this patch exists. It don't hurt. > > > - add support to tinydns to react on notify queries and > > log 'N'. > > I don't understand. Why not simply try an AXFR once a minute? Ha, ha, ha. It's funny. Just be secondary for 100 zones and do this. > > > - add support to dnscache to return a special IP address > > for NXDOMAIN type A responses when NXDSPECIAL envar is set. > > I don't understand. What's wrong with wildcards? Nothing, are very good. But I don't want to fill all the Internet with wildcards. ***This is in dnscache, but not in tinydns*** Here is the point. When my users contact an inexistent host, I'll redirect to a web page or else etc etc. Your imagination is the sky. > > > - add support to tinydns to log 'X' instead of '+' > > when it return NXDOMAIN in answers. > > I don't understand. What's wrong with tinydns-get? It's not online. Some user can make your tinydns to return NXD. Maybe you miss when use tinydns-get. > > > - add support to server round-robined records when are > > many A records in answer. > > The order of A records is the client's responsibility. Well, maybe are somewhere broken resolvers. It don't hurt, it don't break performance at all, and it can be activated _only_ when you want. > > ---Dan =20 I wonder if some patch missed your shotgun fire :) First of all these = are=20 not mine, but of your happy djbdns users which still want to shape it whe= re their need make them do this. P.S. Thank you for your beautifull qmail & djbdns kind regards, --=20 Claudiu Costin