List:       dirsec-list
Subject:    Re: NSDIRSECUG: scaling guidelines?
From:       Michael Haines - Sun UK <Michael.Haines () uk ! sun ! com>
Date:       2000-06-05 15:50:23

>> I'm thinking along the lines of Solaris rather than NT.

Would be my preferred platform :-)

>> Would it be reasonable to try to support this on, say, 2 processors
with,
>> say, 256M of RAM? 512M of RAM?

Well, what I would say is that in the LDAP protocol the search operation
is the most common, thus typically searching the directory gives far
greater performance than when adding or modifying the directory.

Sizing an LDAP server can be based on the number of requests per second
to the directory. What is normally recommended is to use something like
an E450 or Ultra 2 with 2/4CPU's (2 will be OK in your case), with 512MB
of memory. If you find that your number of requests per second is  going
to be a large number then you need add more CPU's. There are potentially
other factors that can add to the sizing and performance of a DS.

>> Thoughts and advice are very much appreciated.

Hope this helps.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom Jordan
>> University of Wisconsin Madison