List:       dhcp-users
Subject:    Re: dhcp failover question
From:       Simon Hobson <dhcp1 () thehobsons ! co ! uk>
Date:       2018-02-22 21:40:52

Rob Moser <Rob.Moser@nau.edu> wrote:

> > > -          Can I setup them behind LB?
>
> > No. You cannot load balance requests, because it would mean clients randomly \
> > contacting a server that knew nothing about it's lease.
>
> Well to be fair, most modern load-balancers will have some method of sending the \
> same client persistently to the same back-end server.  But how to achieve that \
> would be a question for the folks who built/run your load-balancer; dhcpd doesn't \
> have anything to do with it.

But what happens if a server goes down ? Presumably the LB will re-route requests to \
a different server - which of course will have no knowledge of what the others \
servers have been doing.

So you either have to have non-overlapping ranges across the servers - in other \
words, the same as just running multiple independent servers and the LB does nothing \
useful for you. Or the servers have to have knowledge of what the other servers have \
been doing - in other words, like running failover.