List:       dhcp-users
Subject:    Re: First time relayed network
From:       Simon Hobson <dhcp1 () thehobsons ! co ! uk>
Date:       2017-04-05 21:32:55

Scott Ellentuch <tuctboh@gmail.com> wrote:

> > As I read it, you are using a DHCP relay agent to get DHCP packets from clients \
> > on one network to a server that doesn't have a direct connection to that network \
> > ? Is it as simple as that, or is there some other complication ?

> Yes, sorry, simple as that.

So client network <-> relay agent <-> DHCP server

To handle that you just don't need to do anything other than define the subnet(s). If \
the network (specifically the relay agent) is correctly configured then "it just \
works" and you definitely don't need any shared networks or address assignment logic.

> A current network comes over eth0, and the relayed network also comes over eth0. I \
> thought they were "doing the right thing" but someone came out for the "local eth0" \
> network and it assigned it in the "relayed eth0" network pool.

Sorry, I really have no idea what that means !