List:       dhcp-users
Subject:    Re: 4.3.0a1 now available
From:       "Simon Hobson"  <dhcp1 () thehobsons ! co ! uk>
Date:       2013-12-19 13:42:47

Flex Banana wrote:
> I would like to make a redondant DHCP/DNS service, how can i implement a solution \
> with two servers performing DDNS updates ?

I don't think you can - easily.

Firstly, the ISC server can only update to one server. However there are ways round \
that using common techniques (shared virtual address, load balancer, etc) in the HA \
world which aren't related to DHCP.

Secondly you need a DNS ssytem that can handle distributed updates. BIND doesn't, I \
don't know if MS does with it's AD stuff.

Bear in mind that if a DDNS update fails, the DHCP server will retry it every time \
the lease is renewed until it's accepted. So it's probably not the end of the world \
if DNS updates don't happen for a short time. On that basis, I;d suggest you would be \
better putting your efforts into making your DNS infrastructure itself fairly \
reliable and having plans for how to deal with failures. \