List:       dhcp-server
Subject:    Re: SNAME option
From:       Glenn Satchell <Glenn.Satchell () uniq ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-03-25 11:01:44

   *** From dhcp-server -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:20:36 +0100
> From: Philippe Valle <pvalle@eprocess.fr>
>
> I use ISC DHCP server V3.0.1. I want to use 'sname' option.
> If in same network we have 2 dhcp servers , 'sname' option is used to
> specify DHCP server to client ?
> could you have some sample to use this option ?
>
> Thanks,
> Philip

Check the man page for dhcpd.conf, I think you want 'server-name', eg:

  server-name 192.168.1.1;

However, what this does is set the address of the dhcp server in the
reply packet. By default dhcpd will use the first ip address associated
with the particular interface, so this is command is really only useful
if you have an aliases IP address on the interface.

What it does *not* do is to restrict which dhcp server a client will
use. When a client does a dhcpdiscover broadcast then all dhcp servers
will see the broadcast and reply. Unless you are using failover, you
need to do something in the configuration so that only one of the
servers will send a reply. This may be a combinatin of host statements
and allow known-clients, or clever class matching.

Hope this helps, and if it doesn't then please describe what you are
trying to achieve in a bit more detail.

regards,
-glenn