List:       dhcp-server
Subject:    Re: Antw: Re: Ping Check befor delete
From:       Glenn Satchell <Glenn.Satchell () uniq ! com ! au>
Date:       2003-01-31 10:15:02

   *** From dhcp-server -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

I think you're missing the point, which is why aren't your clients
renewing their lease? This is not a specific win2k issue as I look
after a site with some 4000 Win2k clients and they renew their leases
correctly.

Remember that the initial request is broadcast by the client then
forwarded directly to the dhcp server by the dhcp relay agent (this may
be a unix box or more commonly a router).

When it renews, the client will talk directly to the dhcp server,
bypassing the relay agent. Most clients try to renew the lease when it
is 50% expired, thus the dhcp server should never delete the lease if
the client is renewing correctly.

Do you have any firewall or router rules that prevent the clients from
talking directly to the dhcp server?

Can you run snoop or tcpdump on the network interface on the dhcp
server and see if there are packets coming from clients trying to
renew?

What is in the logs? You should see DHCPDISCOVER followed by DHCPOFFER
for the initial request, then DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK for the renews.

regards,
-glenn
--
Glenn Satchell              mailto:glenn@uniq.com.au  ((* <- That's me