List:       dhcp-hackers
Subject:    Re: Should the entire environment passed to dhclient be available to dhclient-script?
From:       Andrew Pollock <apollock () debian ! org>
Date:       2005-09-15 22:56:28

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 08:52:21AM -0700, David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 09:33:20PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > Any chance of a command-line option to override this feature in the future?
>
> We accept patches.
>
> But you understand this would appear in the next feature release, not
> maint.
>
> Is -e not usable because some large number of different variables are
> being introduced?  Is it not possible to source these variables via
> /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks or similar?

Well essentially any /etc/network/interfaces directive is made available as
DH_{DIRECTIVE}, so it doesn't scale terribly well, and I'd need ifupdown
(the invoker of dhclient) to be modified, so it all becomes rather
complicated rather quickly.

I've sent an email to the Debian ifupdown maintainer to see what he thinks.

regards

Andrew