List:       dhcp-hackers
Subject:    LDAP/DHCP
From:       "Kevin C. Miller" <kevinm () andrew ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       2002-08-24 4:34:23

Well, I've spent most of the evening working with the DHCP/LDAP stuff. I'm
pretty impressed by what I'm seeing, but I haven't nearly gotten it working
with every bit of my config.

Here's some notes from tonight's work:

LDAP_CONFIGURATION is already defined in common/site.h (from the patch).
Just a minor thing for the actual release.

DEBUG_LDAP is being defined already in the build process.

I think it's somewhat annoying that you have to hand-edit the Makefile to
include the ldap library on the link line. I suppose this is really an
issue with the DHCP server build process as a whole.

I don't know about the general case of DHCP server administrators, but I
suspect:
 a) many will be intrigued by the LDAP support, and
 b) many don't have a lot of operational experience with LDAP.

I certainly fit into this category, and I'm taking notes as I go here about
slapd configuration, adding the user/password, getting the initial data
into the system, etc. Certainly we shouldn't have to (or want to) supersede
the documentation of the LDAP server, but I think a good "intro to LDAP for
DHCP admins" document would be useful. I'll even offer to write it. :)

Out of curiousity, have you made any progress on a dhcpd.conf -> ldif
translator? I have the beginnings of one, though I'm going to have to
revamp a lot of it to work sanely.

-Kevin