List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    OFF-TOPIC BUT FUNNY (NOW) STORY RE: Any ideas on why my cable modem
From:       Gary Nielson <gnielson () charlotte ! infi ! net>
Date:       2001-08-03 16:39:59

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

It took two weeks to figure out what was wrong. Suddenly, two weeks ago,
my dhcp connection to Road Runner was not working. I emailed RR several
times with information, but as soon as I said I used Linux, I was put on
hold while they tried to find a Linux expert because, as we all know, they
don't support Linux. I was pretty sure the problem was on their end.
People on this list counseled me that this was most likely, given that it
was working fine before and I made no changes.

Well, I kept nagging RR to get someone to check out their setup on their
end. I wrote several emails. Finally, I borrowed a friend's laptop with
Windows NT on it and attempted to load the RR software and connect with
Windows. It wouldn't work, the dialog box proclaiming I had a NIC card and
dhcp, but no connection -- it was likely I had no account at all.

No account at all?

I forwarded this finding to RR. An hour later, the phone rang. It was
RR. They finally checked their setup. My account had been deleted. Turns
out I had called the local Time Warner office a couple of weeks ago to
cancel HBO and Cinemax (I never watch those channels) and they cancelled
Road Runner instead.

I am back on RR with dhclient and I really don't know what the moral of
the story is except, Ted and everyone else who helped me on this
list: Yup, you were right.

Gary

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Dierking Kevin wrote:

>    *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***
>

> Yeah, I just ran into this last Friday, depending on the cable modem type
> they (RR) have been experiencing problems, they actually escalated me three
> times before they fixed their error the next day, contact them and persist
> that it is their problem, as long as you know it is.  What happened to me
> was that they had to remove me from their system and re added my modem back
> now it works. Two other things make sure that your host name matches RR's,
> the other is to get the ip info from them and try the static method of
> addressing to verify connection.

Gary Nielson
gary@garynielson.com