List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: cause of changing ip's with laptop found
From:       Hermann Lauer <hermann.lauer () iwr ! uni-heidelberg ! de>
Date:       2001-05-29 9:05:57

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Hello,

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 04:57:56PM -0700, Wendy Verschoor wrote:
>    *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***
>

> > Any chance to get info/help with the omshell thing on the client ?
> >
> What is it you're trying to do?
>
> omshell is a program to talk to an OMAPI-aware DHCP *server*, it's not
> used with dhclient.  You'd use omshell, for example, to make changes to
> your server based on, say, a new host declaration needing to be made
> without taking down the server.

I'm trying to give the client a idea the the laptop is been waken up,
so that the client can check his timings etc. (Here is hidden
another bug on the linux client which can lead to a holding
of a expired lease btw.)

The conventional unix way would be to send a signal, but there
seems to be something other prepared - this omapi stuff, please read on:

When OMAPI is only for the server, why is then that OMAPI
stuff also inside the client ? It calls omapi_init() and also
later on uses omapi_dispatch(). But the omapi_init() seems
not to start a listener on the default port from omshell -
at least from netstat I found no sign that dhclient
is listening to commands on any port.
So the first question seems to be where and how to start the
omapi listener.

Are you programming with the OMAPI things and can
shed some light on the omapi init stuff ?

Thanks for any help.

Greetings
  Hermann

--
Bildverarbeitungsgruppe des Interdiziplinaeren Zentrums fuer
wissenschaftliches Rechnen, Universitaet Heidelberg