List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: roaming laptop client with 3.0rc4
From:       Ted Lemon <mellon () nominum ! com>
Date:       2001-05-04 17:22:42

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

You really don't need to patch the DHCP client to do what you're
talking about - I actually have used it the same way you are using it
in the past.   You just need to tweak the configuration parameters.
You are absolutely right that it would be nice if the client could be
configured with a lease that should be rechecked at now+<some time>.
I haven't added this feature because I'm busy doing a release, but
I've thought about it.   :'}

> Question: here no PREINIT script call happens, so
> I have to patch FAIL to leave the interface up
> with a 0.0.0.0 address - Bug or Feature ?

This is probably a bug in the client script.

> For me, that setup is already rather good now,
> but maybe a way to signal dhclient (omapi ?)
> would be the best solution.

Yes, this would be a very good thing.   :'}

> Discoverd the hint in the mapage
> to omshell at this moment - maybe
> something can be done with it.

You can in fact connect to the client using omshell, but I'm not sure
if you can do anything useful with it yet.   I was playing with it a
few weeks ago but didn't finish what I was doing.

			       _MelloN_