List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    RE: dhclient.conf help
From:       Greg Torluemke <gregtor () VitalLink ! net>
Date:       2001-04-07 1:59:55

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Hi:

Sorry if I was unclear before. That is the exact problem that I've been
having: Getting dhclient to set the hostname based on the option returned by
the DHCP server.

This is an intermittent problem. I haven't got it totally isolated.

But when thing aren't working, I have a dhclient.conf file that requests a
name. The DHCP server may or may not respond with the same name. What
happens is the hostname becomes localhost.localdomain, or nothing at all.
But dhclient.leases contains the hostname option with the value sent by the
server.

The work-around is to delete dhclient.conf and reboot the computer. I can
replace dhclient.conf and hostname is updated based on the option value
returned by the server.

This works until I break things again. I haven't isolated what I do to break
things. I've been doing testing, bringing eth0 up and down using both pump
and dhclient, so I suspect the problem lies somewhere in there.

I have noted some entries in /var/log/messages that may be related.

When things aren't working the message go like:

pumpd: terminating as there are no more devices under management
... dhclient copyright notice ...
modprobe: Note: /etc/conf.modules is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
modprobe: Note: /etc/conf.modules is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module up

When things are working only the warning about /etc/conf.modules being more
recent does not appear.

It looks like I've still got a pump daemon hanging around. And possibly
causing conflicts? Just a guess.

I will try removing the pump rpm and see if I encouter the problem again.

Thanks,
Greg