List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: DHCPNOGO
From:       Martin-Éric_Racine <q-funk () pp ! fishpool ! fi>
Date:       2001-03-30 11:40:43

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Ted Lemon wrote:

> BTW, I have proposed adding DHCPNOGO functionality to DHCPv6, and used
> your message as a justification.   We'll see what happens.   I realize
> this is cold comfort for you now, but it's something... :'}

It's already a good start. :)

When my former dialup ISP changed upstream contractor, users
could login but would not reach the net, because the upstream
connection was temporarily severed during the transition week.
Looking at the syslog output from PPPD confirmed that I had
successfully logged in. It was sufficient proof that user error
was not the cause of my impossibility to reach the net.

This is precisely the sort of functionality that I feel DHCPNOGO
would add to the DHCP specs:  a way to ensure that whatever the
client did was right on the ball.

It would also allow GUI-based clients to return an intelligent
message along the line of "Connection refused by ISP" instead of
blindly sitting there waiting for a reply that will never come.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, IT Consultant * http://funkyware.atari.org/
* May the Funk be with Q! * Author of the Atari TT030 Homepage.