List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: Wanting a fully DHCP-configured workstation - suggestions?
From:       Dirk von Suchodoletz <dirk () goe ! net>
Date:       2001-01-29 16:33:47

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

> You can create /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks or /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks to
> handle your config options. Look at /etc/dhclient-script for examples.
> Notice the $new_option and $old_option variables used in the script.
> ($new_domain_name would be a specific example.)
>
> Those are the file locations debian uses; other distributions/os's may
> have files in different locations.
>
> > Proxy services do not appear to be addressed at all. Has a proxy
> > extension been proposed to RFC 2132? I've not been able to turn up
> > anything searching..
> > I've worked out a method I'd like to propose if it hasn't been done
> > already. I'm just a little unsure about the exact method of proposing a
> > protocol extension.
>
> I think you can define your own extensions with
>
>   option option-{decimal-option-code} value
>
> where {decimal-option-code is required and value is a string or
> colon-separated list of hex bytes.
>
> ex:
>
>   option option-176 34:19
>
> I haven't tried defining my own options, but you might want to search
> the docs for the server and client and then experiment.

I set up a lot of linux boxes this way by passing option strings via dhcp
and using them via dhclient-script. It works without porblems (dhcp
version 3 required), but may be you have to increase the dhcp-message size
to pass all the options you want in a single packet...

If you are interested in examples I can post them.

So long,
	   Dirk