List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: dhclient(latest), token ring and linux2.4
From:       Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon () nominum ! com>
Date:       2000-11-29 3:47:27

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

> in linux/drivers/net/net_init.c
> dev->type = ARPHRD_IEEE802 (6) was changed to ARPHRD_IEEE802_TR (800)
> (by the way: what was the reason, what's the difference ??)

The reason it was done was to test my patience.  I get complacent from
time to time, and then the Linux networking guys, with great
compassion, tweak their network code in some clever, incompatible way
that will only affect the DHCP server or client.   There is always a
thorough explanation for why it was done, and the explanation always
leaves me sputtering, "but, but, but..."

Anyway, the bottom line is that token ring is officially broken on
Linux 2.4, I guess.   I guess I should add a more helpful error
message or something.

Dare I ask, why are you using Token Ring for a DHCP client in this day
and age anyway?   For a server, I can sort of understand, but for a
client?

			       _MelloN_