List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: Various dhclient questions
From:       "Brian J. Murrell" <dhcp-lists-in () interlinx ! bc ! ca>
Date:       2000-10-31 9:43:42

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

from the quill of Nominum Support <Greg.Kulosa@nominum.com> on scroll
<20001031004004.B18451@jaxom.home.kulosa.org>

> > (1) I occasionally want to run dhclient on a single interface,
> regardless
> > of what is or is not in the dhclient.conf file.  However, the
> command
> > "dhclient <interface>" will also activate dhclient on any interfaces
> > defined in dhclient.conf.
>
> Hmm, yes this appears to be the current behavior.  Help me remember to
> ask Ted (the main developer) when he gets back from vacation.  He may
> have a reason that it works the current way.

Don't forget to ask Ted whatever happened to the OMAPI implementation I
put in the client a long time ago.  That implementation made
"interfaces" a configurable OMAPI object.  Doing this allowed one to
start dhclient with *no* interfaces configured.  You could then, using
OMAPI, tell dhclient to configure and manage any interface.  I wrote a
small utility for adding and removing interfaces from dhclient's control
without having to restart dhclient.

This is really the only way to properly use dhclient on Linux.  The way
dhclient works right now is fine for most people because they only want
to DHCP configure one interface but as soon as you want to do 2 or more
you are screwed on Linux because of how dhclient works.

> > (2) Let's say I have dhclient controlling two interfaces (let's call
> them
> > eth1 and eth2) on a system.  I'd like to be able to tell dhclient to
> drop
> > one of the interfaces without having to kill and restart dhclient
> (e.g.,
> > maybe the interface is going away because it was a pcmcia card or
> > something).  This isn't currently possible; should it be?  Could
> this be
> > accomplished with the API I see in the new version 3 series?

Absolutely!  I actually implemented that a long time ago.  I am
disappointed to see that it never got rolled into the code tree.

> Yes, this is/was one of the goals in having a "command channel"
> (OMAPI).
> You should be able to tell the client to add/remove interfaces that it
> is
> managing, change configuration options, tell it to renew or release,
> etc.

And the code is already written.  I wrote it.  I guess it never got
included in the release.  :-(

> However, this is not currently implemented.

Oh yes it is!  Ask Ted to check his code submissions from me.  I wrote a
full implementation of OMAPI for the client with "interface" objects.

> Care to contribute either coding (to Ted's standards)
> or money?  Either one would get it done faster......

I already did contribute code but it never made it into the tree.  I
believe I was coding at Ted's standard as a lot of my code was
previously accepted (DDNS in v3 is/was mostly mine, based on Irina
Goble's previous implementation).

Find that code I submitted and you will have OMAPI complete with
"interface" objects in the client.  I sure hope it was not "lost".

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell