List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    DHCP Server is present? w/dhcpd.conf
From:       Benjaminmeng () alphatop ! com ! tw
Date:       2000-03-22 6:05:08

*** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Hi :

     I am a new babe of DHCP.  I really need some help.  I tried to use
dhcpcd/dhclient to determine if there

is a DHCP server on the net.  If dhcpcd timeout, then I will run dhcpd to
be the DHCP server.  However, the dhcpd

seems to work out just fine.  But few miniutes later,  network access (not
neccessary which service, it is different from every

machine) becomes very slow.  The machine that run dhcpd does not have heavy
cpu load.  If I don't use dhcpcd to probe

the network, or I use pump to do the job,  then the dhcpd works fine.  You
may ask me why I just don't use pump to probe the

DHCP server.  The main reason is pump won't ask for last time IP.  Keeping
changing IP is not a good thing for machines

connecting to the net.  BTW,  the DHCP client program work fine when there
is a DHCP server(NT) is presented.  Could

anybody give me any suggestion how can I know if there is DHCP server on
net or why dhcpcd can not being executed

prior to dhcpd?

ps.  I attached dhcpd.conf.  I hope it helps to solve the puzzle.

(See attached file: dhcpd.conf)

Thanks

Benjamin

["dhcpd.conf" (application/octet-stream)]