List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    rediscovering interfaces, was Re: (no subject)
From:       "Brian J. Murrell" <dhcp-lists-in () interlinx ! bc ! ca>
Date:       2000-01-27 3:03:04

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

from the quill of Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@iengines.com> on scroll
<200001270232.VAA07715@grosse.manhattan.fugue.com>

> Of course.   PCMCIA, Cardbus and USB all have the capability to add
> and remove devices on the fly while the system is running.

~smacks forehead~  Duh!  Of course.  I had "hot plug PCI" in the back of
my mind just after I hit send too.

> > If so, then why wouldn't I just "retrieve" the "to be configured"
> > interface back to interfaces from dummy_interfaces and flag it as
> > needing to be "initialized" (or the already initialized interfaces
> > as not needing initialization)?
>
> 'Cuz I said no to the previous point.   :')

So when I do re-discover the interfaces, should I just discard (free)
the entries in dummy_interfaces and build from scratch, or is the right
thing to do to overwrite existing entries in the dummy_interfaces list
with the newly found but unconfigured interfaces?  I guess it does not
seem obvious what dummy_interfaces is used for, so I am unsure how to
deal with it on subsequent discoveries.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX