List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    RE: Driving me Nuts :-(
From:       "Schulz, Martin" <martin.schulz () eds ! com>
Date:       2000-01-18 20:22:25

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Ted,

Well, it did work out of the box in SuSE 6.0 for me...

I also found that it is fairly easy to debug on several levels:

1) start with /sbin/init.d/dhclient start/stop
   (You may want to get it to trace, so add a '-x' in the
    very first line of that script)
2) dhclient -D <Your Interface>
   (not sure what other options you'd need there... look in
    /sbin/init.d/dhclient)
3) Last but not least, /sbin/dhclient-script
   (or /etc/dhclient-script, if you aren't using the SuSE
    config file).  Again, you can have it traced with '-x'
   in the first line.  Don't forget to chmod 744 the scripts
   after changing them!  This is where the actual setup is
   done.

Of course to activate all this at boot time, you need to
change rc.config and run the SuSEconfig script afterwards.

Also if the ISP's dhcp server doesn't like your broadcast,
you're toast. On my cable modem I get away with a little reset
button if I wish to switch PCs or Ethernet cards.

Oh, btw. Ted, I've changed my dhclient-script to use the 'ip'
command from iproute2 and I've managed to get an 'alias' address working in
Linux 2.2.  Thus imaginative folks could just use a Linux box with a single
interface and an inexpensive hub to connect, (insecurely I feel compelled to
add).

L8tr
	Martin
---