List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: dhclient vs. other servers
From:       "Dagmar d'Surreal" <dagmar () dsurreal ! org>
Date:       1999-09-03 22:20:35

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, [ISO-8859-1] Jürgen Fluk wrote:

>    *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***
>
> Hello,
>   this question is not really dhclient nor ISC specific, but I think some
> of you might enlighten me:
>
> I use ISC dhclient to setup a linux notebook plugging to a network via
> a PCMCIA adapter. dhclient is started and killed from the /etc/pcmcia
> script at plug-in resp. plug-off time.
>
> This notebook runs rwhod and smbd, and both of these seem to scan the
> interface configuration while starting up. If I plug in the card
> while running both show problems (rwhod doesn't send out packets via
> the ethernet card [still it receives], something alike for smbd).
>
> Would this mean I have to restart both servers at both plug-in and
> plug-off time?

I don't know about rwhod, but you will need to stop and restart smbd for
certain when the lease changes your IP address.  Give me a few days to
figure out which machine I had the most elegant exit-hooks script on and
I'll post it to the list, although you can probably comment out the nmbd
stuff.  We have a primarily windows-based network at the office, and we
use smbd and nmbd to make our Linux machines "fit in" a bit better.  The
biggest nuisance in cobbling the script together was that blindly
restarting smbd every time something goes through the exit-hooks script
will unnecessarily break any active smb connections--connections which
would have otherwise been fine so long as the IP address did not change.
Hence the need to make a number of very careful checks to see exactly what
phase things are in.

(Why do I have to look for a few days?  Because I can't remember which of
five notebooks the most correct implementation was on, and two of them
are in the hands of other people at the moment.)