List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: strange Linux dhclient behaviour ...
From:       Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon () nominum ! com>
Date:       2005-10-15 6:17:23

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

On Friday 14 October 2005 22:31, Klaus Steden wrote:
> Yeah, I see a bunch of those in the dhcpd.log ... is there a way to switch
> this off in dhclient?

The problem most likely isn't with dhclient itself - dhclient follows the
protocol.   It's probably that dhclient is being used correctly.   If you
acquire an IP address using dhclient, and then kill dhclient but keep using
the address, then that can create a bad situation.  Also, if you put your
machine to sleep and dhclient loses track of what time it is, then when it
comes up it may continue to use the IP address when it should not be using
it.

> I don't run into the problem if I use 'ad-hoc' updates, but I don't want to
> run my server that way if it's deprecated.

Interim updates should work just fine in the situation you describe, actually.